Monday, October 20, 2014
When the number of pages in a PDF file is more and the pages are not numbered, then managing them in a sequential order becomes quite troublesome. Moreover, when the requirement is such that the most relied upon Portable Document File containing important details has to be used for highly sophisticated purposes; such as, have to be presented in the court of law to the judge, used by lawyers, scientists, researchers, offices, companies, etc. then to apply numbers or alphabets sequentially on them becomes quite a necessary task. The reason being that it gets easier to maintain order of pages one after the other so that readability increases and the sense of pages are also maintained. Therefore, it is highly significant to recognize tools to add page numbers in Adobe PDF document files and this post helps you acknowledge some of them. Any one of them can be adopted depending on requirement.
Necessity of Adding Page Numbers to PDF Files – Get a Quick Glance
The various reasons as to why it gets essential to put-on ‘numbering’ on pages, be it numbers or a series of alphabets are as follows:
- It allows pages of documents to be compiled in a sequential manner that can otherwise be a kind of havoc.
- Any specific page can be quickly cited in a short span of time without having to worry much.
- Readers can easily and quickly find out any particular parts of documents without complexity.
- Size of documents can be easily known by a quick glance at the page number on the last page.
Get Hold of Several Tools to Add Page Numbers in Adobe PDF Document
Method 1: A-PDF Number, a Free Tool Available at http://www.a-pdf.com/
- Visit the link http://www.a-pdf.com/number/ to download the tool by clicking on the download tab and then install it.
- Then a small window as shown below will appear.
- In the tool’s window the first step that should be performed is that the tab Browser, located at the top right corner as shown with a red color arrow in the figure below should be clicked to select the file. In doing so, the file name appears in the box File Name.
- Thereby, all the fields such as Page Begin, Page End, Offset, Number Type, Position, Color, Prefix gets enabled; wherein changes as per requirement can be done in all the fields. However, all fields, but ‘Prefix’ are set by default as shown in the image below.
- In ‘Number Type’, any of the three (Number, ROMAN NUMBER, roman number) available options can be chosen by clicking the circle as shown in red color in the figure below.
- In Position any of the three (Middle bottom, Left bottom, Right bottom) available options can be chosen by clicking on the drop down menu, shown with a tiny black arrow pointing downwards.
- Then the Color option is provided, which by default it is black. As per want, it can be changed to different colors available by clicking on a tiny box with different color as shown in red rectangle in the figure below.
- The next tab is ‘Prefix,’ which is optional. If wanted, a prefix can be mentioned in the box by typing or can be left blank. After selection, on the right hand side of the window the preview is shown which is highlighted by red color in the figure below.
- Then the tab Process, located at the bottom right hand shown in red rectangle should be clicked. In doing so, an option to save the file, with page numbers added arrives. The location so as to store the file should be chosen and then the option Save should be clicked.
- Finally, in doing so, the file with added page numbers gets saved as well as opens up on the screen.
- Available free of cost for download and execution.
- Easy and simple to use i.e. not very tough for usage.
- Standalone software as it does not need Adobe Acrobat.
- Creates files compatible with Adobe Acrobat Reader version 5 and all above.
- Cannot operate with multiple files at once, i.e. only one document can be numbered at a time which is a huge drawback.
- When the number of PDF file is large, the process takes long time.
- Only number, capitol Roman number and small roman’s can be used for numbering.
Method 2: PDFill PDF Tools Available at www.pdfill.com
- Visit the website to download the PDFill PDF Tools that has number of tools within in the form of tabs including ‘Add Header and Footer’, which helps in adding page numbers to unnumbered PDF document.
- Install the software on your computer system which will take about a few minutes and then the shortcut icon will appear on the desktop as displayed in the figure below in red color rectangle.
- For execution of the software so as to add page numbers, double click on the tool’s icon where a small window comes up on the screen, with all the functions displayed as shown below in the figure. As page numbers have to be added, tab ‘Add Header and Footer’ should be clicked on.
- On doing so, a window named ‘Select a PDF file to Add Header and Footer’ comes up. Here, the tab ‘Open’ shown in red rectangle in the below figure should be clicked to choose the PDF file.
- After selection of the document, a screen ‘Free PDF Tools: Add Header and Footer’ as shown below in the image appears.
- Here, depending on choice page nos. can be added in the header, footer or at both places. To select the options check boxes named ‘Add Header’ and ‘Add Footer’ have been provided. Here, the Alignment of the page numbers can be set at left, right or center. Even Text can be added before, after or at both places of the page number if desired.
- If page numbers have to be added at both places i.e. header and footer, both boxes ‘Add Header’ and ‘Add Footer’ should be checked.
- If page numbers have to added only at header then the check box Add Header should be checked whereas Add Footer should be checked off.
- If page numbers have to added only at footer then the check box Add Footer should be checked whereas Add Header should be checked off.
- Then Text Properties such as Font Size, Font Color, Font Style, Font Name, and Font Encode should be applied as per want from the available Drop down Menu or can be left as previous or default.
- Then ‘Margin From Edges’ can be set up as desired on the Top, Bottom, Left and Right or left as it is.
- A tab called ‘Resume to Last Options’ is provided which can be clicked to select settings used last time.
- Finally, after choosing all settings, the Save As tab should be clicked when an option to select the location and to give a new name to the file with added page numbers pops up on the screen whereas the PDF document with added page numbers also opens up on the system screen.
- Can be downloaded free of cost and run.
- Has a short numbering process.
- Execution can be a bit difficult for novice users.
- Multiple settings have to be done.
- Can process only one file at a time which is a huge setback.
Method 3: Using PDFWARE PDF Bates Numberer available at http://www.pdfware.org/pdf-bates-numberer.html
PDF Bates Numberer is a professional tool developed to add page numbers to PDF documents quickly in a short span of time and without any hurdles. It is not available for free but its demo version can certainly be downloaded to test the working of the application.
Know How It Works!
It involves five steps as explained below.
- The tool should be purchased and downloaded and installed on any Windows system.
- The software should be run by clicking on its icon. The first step involves selection of available options. Here, the check box Generate Bates Number should be checked and then click Next tab.
- Then the second step arrives, which involves selecting PDF file(s) with the option Add Files and Add Folders. Again, the tab ‘Next’ should be clicked.
- Then the third step arrives which involves providing details as to how page numbers should be added. The various options available are shown in the image below such as Series for Pages, Number of Digits, etc.
- Then the fourth step comes up known as Options. Here, in this section various things need to be selected such as Position, Font, Color, File Name, Destination location, etc. Then the tab ‘Next’ should be clicked as in the image below.
- Finally, a summary report is generated which shows all the details as shown in the picture pasted below. Here, Preview and/or Generate tab can be clicked to obtain the preview or the PDF file(s) with page numbers.
- Multiple files can be allotted page numbers at once with the option ‘Add Folders.’
- Adobe Acrobat installation is not essential.
- Ability to eradicate encryption.
- Allows adding Bates number and printing it on paper.
- Renders various options for formatting.
- It is a paid software application.
Here, in the guest post is discussed three methods to add page numbers to files of .pdf format. Both pros and cons associated with them are also discussed that shall make it easy for readers to choose one or more for them. The first two software applications are freeware while PDF Bates Numberer requires license keys. Though paid, the significant advantage that it renders is that it can process files in bulk as well as has a short and simple procedure. Hence the tool avoids complexity and time when the number of files is huge. Therefore, having discussed in the post the working, pros as well as cons of the utilities, users can select either based on requirement and suitability.
Edwin Hoffer is a Technical Expert blogger, currently known for his immense contribution at PDF Tips blog. Apart from blogging, he loves to participate in multiple communities & forums rejoices in assisting troubled users.